Kew Forest Plumbing & Heating loves Queens! We are consistently involved in the surrounding communities through the efforts of our caring colleagues. Read more about the surrounding areas of Ridgewood, Glendale, Middle Village, Maspeth Queens. Kew Forest Plumbing proudly supports the RGMVM Little League.
Originally, Ridgewood was part of the Dutch settlement Boswijk (Bushwick) and was later incorporated into the village of Breuckelen (Brooklyn).
A legacy of this past stands today; Onderdonk House, which was erected in 1709. The house is the oldest Dutch Colonial stone house in New York City. Also located at the Onderdonk House site is Arbitration Rock, which was a marker for the disputed boundary between Bushwick and Newtown and essentially Brooklyn and Queens.
Ridgewood has also served as location shoots for numerous major motion pictures, including The French Connection, The Wanderers, Brighton Beach Memoirs, The Jerky Boys: The Movie, Beat Street and Cop Out. In addition to these movies, scenes for The Sopranos were filmed on Fresh Pond Road in Ridgewood on March 9, 2006, when a hookah bar next to the neighborhood bar, Glenlo’s Tavern was detonated. [courtesy wikipedia.com]
By the mid-nineteenth century, Fresh Ponds was a thriving German farming community. In 1860, George C. Schott, a developer, was given a large amount of land in Fresh Ponds as repayment for a debt. He renamed the land Glendale after his hometown in Ohio. Nine years later, one John C. Schooley, a real estate agent, bought a substantial amount of property and also called it Glendale.
Glendale was renowned for its many authentic German restaurants, namely Zum Stammtisch (The Family Table), Von Westernhagen’s, and Hans Gasthaus. However, in the last decade all but Zum Stammtisch have closed doors for good. Stammtisch can be found highly regarded in most New York City tour guides even though it is located in an outer borough. [courtesy wikipedia.com]
The area was settled around 1816 by people of English descent and was named in the early nineteenth-century for its location as the midpoint between the then towns of Williamsburg, Brooklyn and Jamaica, Queens on the Williamsburgh and Jamaica Turnpike (now Metropolitan Avenue), which opened in 1816.
Four national historic districts were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983: Forest-Norman Historic District; Grove-Linden-St. John’s Historic District; Seneca-Onderdonk-Woodward Historic District; and Woodbine-Palmetto-Gates Historic District. [courtesy wikipedia.com]
The area known today as Maspeth was chartered by Dutch and English settlers in the mid-17th century. The Dutch had purchased land in the area known today as Queens in 1635, and within a few years began chartering towns. In 1642 they settled Maspat, under a charter granted to Rev. Francis Doughty. The name “Maspeth” is derived from the name of Mespeatches Indians, one of the 13 main Indian tribes that inhabited Long Island. It is translated to mean “at the bad waterplace” relating to the many stagnant swamps that existed in the area.
A September 11 Memorial has been erected at 69th Street and Grand Avenue to commemorate the local firehouse’s casualties from the World Trade Center, which were the largest of any FDNY unit. The monument, adjacent to the sunken Queens-Midtown Expressway is oriented towards the WTC site, where the Freedom Tower is now visible from Maspeth. An annual memorial ceremony is held at the monument on September 11th. [courtesy wikipedia.com]